The Seventh Power is a non-profit organization committed to increasing AWARENESS of the history of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, the broken promises made by our nation to all the tribes of the Northern Plains and to the current economic and social challenges of modern day life at the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
The Seventh Power creates awareness, raises funds and invests them in projects at Pine Ridge that strengthen economic independence, increase self-reliance and celebrate the cultural identity of the Lakota people. Specific themes for project investments include:
- Housing construction projects that create home OWNERSHIP opportunities for local residents.
- Projects that encourage healthier diets through a return to traditional food sources (such as buffalo).
- Clothing donations particularly aimed at children and young mothers with families.
- Business investments and initiatives that promote entrepreneurship and create private sector jobs at Pine Ridge.
- Educational projects that strengthen AWARENESS of the history of the Lakota people and of the challenges and opportunities of modern day life at Pine Ridge.
As one of many that has some trace of Native American blood running through my veins I find the ongoing struggles of these people and the continued broken promises of our government to be unacceptable, but then we are talking about a government that has grown to big to meet the needs of many groups. If we could get our federal legislative representatives to act with a greater sense of responsibility and maybe some of these most wealthy business people to work for this same needy cause, Bill Gates do you really need more than $100,000.000. I find this story and many others to be a plague on our civilization and until we can address the core of these challenges we are failed as a people. Good luck Kevin, in this venture to help these people that our Government has pushed into a corner and Is trying to hide from us. There are many more wrongs that need to be fixed but this would be a great start!